Thursday 6 September 2007

LIT Moments

I have a really soft spot for the movie Lost In Translation - I have posted a few times on the IMDB message board. I have had a couple of those moments in my life. The first I remember - quite a few years back: I must have been about 21 and got onto a bus in Pretoria. A total stranger - a girl, I even remember her name: Sophaie, sat next to me. She was, I remember, attractive, but not overly so, but had a really great way about her. She said to me - we were just talking about life - "All the stars are beautiful when I look up at the sky. God has made it all and I think of how insignificant we are. We are all like little stars". It was nothing profound, I admit, but I have never forgotten that simple bus ride 15 years ago - it lasted perhaps 20 minutes. I feel similarly as Hemingway did in Paris: I hope she met and married a man who has been good to her.

No comments: