Wednesday 26 September 2007

You never know when you’re making a memory

I once read that you never know when you’re making a memory and I came across this which I can kind of relate to on so many levels – it was written by a high-school boy:“Probably one of the nicest feelings I ever experienced was just last Monday. The day before, Sunday, about 10 of us went up to my family’s cottage on Lake Michigan. It was a cool day, so we all went to the beach fairly well clothed. Toward the end of the afternoon, we built a fire and watched the sun set.The next day I learned that one of my friends left some of his clothes up at the cottage. So I took off for it, by myself. I enjoyed the ride because of the peacefulness and because of the beautiful autumn colours. When I got to the cottage, I ate lunch. I stopped by the beach where we had been. I walked for about a mile just looking at the water and thinking about yesterday. I could almost hear the voices, like spirits whistling through the air.I stopped where our fire had been the day before. There I found a piece of driftwood, on which one of the girls had carved all of our names. The feeling of yesterday filled me like an echo. I picked it up and brought it home and gave it to her to keep for all of us as a remembrance of a beautiful Sunday.” (Barry Burdiak)

Nice hey?

3 comments:

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rich said...

finger trouble there with previous comment.. I like that story - I was thinking this morning, that although we are looking so forward to coming home, we will never have the same feeling of excitement as getting up in the wee hours of the morning to pick some family coming to visit from half way across the world up from the airport..the feeling that remains after they leave is so emtpy, but the memories so vivid.

melissa said...

Waking up, seeing my husband's face, feeling my heart beat, just to know as soon as I have realised it, it is a memory. We seem to focus on all that is not and not grab all that is.....That is why we dream about memories and in the process missing the memories we are busy making now!!-M