Thursday 5 February 2009

7 months

The number of months since Kirstin's death almost fade into meaninglessness - merely numerals recording how many sunsets and sunrises we have witnessed that she has not. They cannot convey those moments of the almost unbearable horror when the raw loss hits you afresh in an unguarded instant and threatens to overwhelm your sanity by the sheer finality of its presence. And then ... sitting at my desk tonight writing this, as if reminding me that nothing is ever really final in this world , by His grace I feel her presence. As sure as I feel the presence of my sleeping wife in the next room.
The most I ever did for you was to outlive you. But that is much. (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rodney

I was not aware of this tragedy - I am so sorry to hear about your loss and I can honestly say that I know the pain you are all feeling. My "baby" brother, whom I was extremely close to, was killed by a wreckless driver and after 24 hours in a coma we lost him. That was 7 1/2 years ago and the "accident" happened 3 weeks to the day after his 21st birthday. Some days are good and some days are bad - the worst are the birthdays, holidays and anniversaries and they say that time heals all wounds - I beg to differ on that one. I was given this after Timothy passed over ( I say passed over as I feel he still with me in spirit and death has such finality to it)

"Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die….

Mary Frye

Thats it from me - take care of yourself and your precious family. xTheresa (Nothard)

rodney said...

Thank you for that - the verse is beautiful.