Tuesday 17 March 2009

Crush -1

I have written about some LIT moments in the past that are not quite relationships, but where somebody comes into your life and has an effect on your life quite disproportionate to the time you spent with them. Somebody you never forget. But that, in my view, is quite different from a crush. I don't know if you remember those, but my very first one was in Sub B (now called Grade 2, I think.) I must have been 6 years old and in Mrs Steer's class. Her name was Laura Mayor. Long brown hair, big brown eyes and sat in the middle row at the front of the class next to Stephen Meyer (no relation). Always immaculately groomed. I didn't know yet what puppy love or a crush was and don't remember much else except the feeling - like a tummy ache whenever I looked at her. And the feeling of confused excitement, fear and anxiety, all rolled into one, whenever she came near me - in case she somehow found out that I thought she was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. The following year in Std 1, we were assigned to sit next to each other (heaven!) but I hardly spoke a word to her the entire year. I was so shy just being in her presence. :-)

No comments: