Friday 13 March 2009

On not working

They say that work is anything you do when you would rather be doing something else. I posted the other day about what it must be like to do what you ultimately love to do as a job. To be totally honest, I am living my dream - even if it is only for two months. Between resigning from my job and when we actually leave for Aus, I have this time to write. I am now about halfway through the novel I have always wanted to write. Somebody asked me how it felt initially, and having expected it would be freedom and elation, I was surprised when my initial feeling was one of guilt. I don't know if it is just the good old Catholic in me, but I sort of felt this cannot be work! I guess since I'm not getting paid for it, strictly speaking, it isn't, but you get my point. Anyway, now that the guilt is fading, it is being replaced by a certain contentment. When I sit down to write, 2 or 3 hours just disappear. I know that I am not a real writer, before you think I have any delusions of grandeur, but even somebody who sings badly, may relish the freedom of singing at the top of their lungs in the shower or car - so let me have these moments! I am so very grateful for the privilege of having this time. :-)

No comments: