Friday 22 May 2009

Back to life

Well it is almost unbelievable that we have been back from our holiday for almost a week already! Sometimes, I feel like an Amish - I still get amazed by the fact that you can be in one country or continent the one day and on another, the next! Almost as though the other place was a different world. It is kind of different when you drive because you kind of physically count the kilometres, but flying is like stepping through a looking glass - ok the 'step' takes 11 or 12 hours, but still. And yet... I follow an artist's blog,(yes I am immersing myself in culture these days!), http://artistmarietheron.blogspot.com/ and her one post where she described a kitchen on the West Coast sounded exactly like Jean Vianney's one from 1860 in the village of Ars in Lyon,France.It triggered a thought that occurred to me when I visited New York some years ago. I watched as people went about their daily work and even though I do accept that travelling has the potential to broaden one's horizons as you see different cultures etc. it also somehow reminds you how similar we are as people as well. We eat, sleep, live in some type of dwelling, etc. No difference in a way from animals. Who wrote that the difference is in how we order our loves? And it seems that that is why these things that surpass our base human instincts are not superfluous as I have often thought, but what actually constitutes part of what it is to be human. In this sense, our differences almost reveal our common humanity.

2 comments:

Marie Theron said...

Hi Rodney,wellcome back! I am glad that my painting of the little kitchen triggered a memory when you were in France! Did you take a photograph or bring a postcard? I suppose that the wood-firing stove, kitchen dressers, etc were universally the same everywhere a hundred years ago. The painting was also the first one that I have sold. I am borrowing it back for an exhibition.

rodney said...

Hi Marie, Thanks! Sorry for the delayed response was away again in Aus for an interview, but i think my brother has a photo which I will upload soon.
Cheers!