Tuesday 4 August 2009

The Move: Day 1

After boarding an SAA flight to Jhb, we had an uneventful trip via Qantas to Sydney. As the wheels lifted off from Johannesburg International, I felt nothing. We had said our goodbyes in Cape Town and that was so hard because we have left people behind that will only join us in a while, but of SA there was no sense for me of loss. We landed in Sydney and S & T collected us with a real Aussie welcome and the gift of a cute, soft Koala bear toy and after dumping our bags at their house, we took a stroll together in the gathering twilight down towards the local Woolworths. Mom's were walking with their kids in prams, there were no beggars with their bibs and implicit threats in the car park or loiterers outside the shop. The shelves were quite confusing as we searched for different products, but it was such a sense of freedom to walk out and home in suburbia without any concern for safety or negotiating a gauntlet. For any who read this blog, let me put this out there: I have no intention of ever trashing the land of my birth, but I also have no intention of not sharing the things that I appreciate in this new life either. We walked by Avalon beach and it was peaceful - some surfers (there are always surfers out on the water) catching some small waves. This is the life I want for my wife, my parents, my siblings, my family and friends and my future children. It is what a home should be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys

Gavin and Talita here. Glad you guys made it safely to the land of milk and honey.Following your blog religiously. Leaving for Brissie in early Jan 2010...also using Kings on your recommendation(definately the cheapest).....

Keep writing

GOD Bless

rodney said...

Hey G & T! (All the Aussies will shorten your names anyway) Glad to hear you guys are raring to come. It's 3:51 am here and jetlag has woken us up!:-) Thanks for reading my blog - I realise sometimes I may get too emotional and make comments that see harsh one way or the other, and I guess I hope that those who follow the blog forgive me when I do - I know you know that it is sometimes difficult to explain the emotional rollercoaster that this emigration journey is, to those who are not / have not made / making the journey at some stage in their lives - so as I write in the next few weeks, please take the emotional stuff I say with a pinch of salt. Take care! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

All the best to you guys and well done on the move to Oz. Keep posting the updates, they're fantastic - makes me want to make the move myself :-)
Best Regards
Michelle Speck