Thursday 31 December 2009

An outing to the city Part 1




Last Sunday, after Mass, we caught a train through to the city and had coffee and hot chocolate at our Starbucks on York Street. I must take a photo from there when we go again because across the road from the Starbucks is an old large sandstone Presbyterian Church - like a cathedral almost, but if you look up, over this old church they have built an office block. The foundations on these old churches are massive so a brilliant idea - that way the Church gets income to support its upkeep which must be quite hefty and it is saved from being turned into a pub like they have depressingly done with many ancient disused churches in Europe. I wonder why the evangelical Churches don't buy these up and spruce them up as they would be cheaper than the huge K-mart size churches they build from scratch. Anyway I digress.

Anyway, after Starbucks we headed across to St Mary's Catholic Cathedral through beautiful Hyde Park (yes like UK!). I heard this busker singing music - and boy what a voice! We stood and listened for a while and I bought a CD of his. His version of O Carolina, just blew me away. He is the guy in first picture. His voice is a mixture between Neil Diamond and.... actually the thing is he has that rare gift - a really unique voice. The CD doesn't do him justice - live he is really so good. His name is Gerald Renger: http://www.gerald-music.com/ I would pay to see him play live. We initially made a donation, but after listening paid the difference and bought the cd and as with the guy in Venice with the glasses, I could see it was appreciated. At the edge of Hyde Park is St Mary's and it is large and impressive with the strangest neighbour I have ever seen - more on that next time.

2 comments:

sf+sm said...

A tip of the hat from a fellow traveller. My wife and I sat at a restaurant terrace in Southgate in Melbourne and saw Geral Renger busk on the promenade along the Yarra River. We enjoyed him so much I searched for him on the internet and found your blog posting. The cool thing is that we will have the opportunity to also see him in Sydney's Hyde Park on 16Feb 2010 according to his web site.

Shane Friars Vancouver B.C.

rodney said...

Hey Shane G'day and welcome to Aus! I am sorry that I will be down in ACT on the 16th and away in fact until the Friday, otherwise I would gladly have shouted you guys for a coffee near Hyde Park. I looked up your blog - New Zealand looks spectacularly beautiful! I am so jealous of you guys - looks like you have been travelling since November - we are amateurs compared to you! Will be following your posts avidly and travelling vicariously through you! If you need anything while in Sydney, just drop me a message. Travel safe and take care!