Sunday 17 January 2010

Medibank 2010 Women's Final













One of the advantages of living here, is that you get to see international tennis which has been so rare in SA over the past 20 years. A warm up tournament for the Australian Open that takes place in Melbourne, is the Medibank International played here in the Olympic Park where we live so for Christmas Carmen bought me tickets to the men and women's final. Unfortunately Justin Henin pulled out before the tournament due to a light leg injury, but it was an experience nevertheless. I was able to walk onto one of the outside practice courts from where i took some shots. the main stadium is the Ken Rosewall arena which seats 10500 people. With regards to the actual match Elena Dementieva crushed a really off-form Serena Williams and returned 178km/h serves. While I was disappointed with Serena's form as we never got to see a really good match, I was glad Elena cleaned up the arrogant world number 1 who at the post match interview on court feigned confusion as to what to say as she 'is so seldom in this position' - losing she meant. Maybe she should try and remember the only reason she is number 1 in the world is because Henin retired (she was number 1 at the time). After that final I stayed for the women's doubles final which featured Cara Black (a Zimbabwean player, so I cheered for her and Liezel Huber, her partner - they won! I will upload all pics to my Facebook.

1 comment:

Selina said...

Very, very apologetically...and only if you are able.....please, please....we need our fix!