Wednesday 6 April 2011

Tumut


A couple of weeks ago, I had to go to a little place in the South West of New South Wales called Tumut - about 4.5 hours from Sydney, West of Canberra. It is a really pretty little place and is at the foothills of the snowy mountains where you can go skiing in winter. Our truck driver, Pete told me that it is where the legend, The Man from Snowy River originated. I never had my camera so apologies for no pics. I got the picture above from another website, http://www.australiantraveller.com/ When I go back there in a couple of weeks, I will take my camera with. Anyway, Pete was telling me that he took a large street sweeper out there for a demonstration with my predecessor - this is only about 2 years ago and while they were busy with the demonstration in the main road of the town, a hearse turned into the road followed by a funeral procession. The rough, unshaven council guys asked Pete to turn off the noisy machine and they stood quietly on the side of the road out of respect as the funeral cortege passed. Once it was safely out of sight, they indicated that Pete and the salesman could proceed with the demo.

Pete, thinking it was somebody important, asked him: 'Who's funeral was that?'
The council guy shrugged - 'I don't know.'

The people of Tumut and so many other little places in the more rural areas here in Aus still pay their respects to the ones of their communities who pass away. Regardless of their status in the community, their loss is felt. It is just so poignant and .... I don't know... civilised. What it must mean to the grieving family to see the people of the town / village pausing in such a visible way to mark the passing of their loved one. This country is not without its faults, but there is so much to appreciate here.

No man is an island, Entire of itself. Each is a piece of the continent, A part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were. As well as if a manor of thine own Or of thine friend's were. Each man's death diminishes me, For I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee. (John Donne)

No comments: