Sunday 24 July 2011

Painting weekend

The past week has been unreal weather wise! We have had the wettest July in Sydney for 61 years so the plot is a mud bath! I should've taken photos, but didn't think of it at the time. When we move in, on the advice of G our landscaper friend we will work about a ton of river sand into the garden which is mostly clay as well as a chemical that breaks up the clay before we churn in the compost. We spent the weekend cleaning up a bit and painting the 2 studies. I vacuumed all the bedrooms and the one study where carpets will be laid down as I suspect that most times, the carpet guys give the room a perfunctory sweep and then throw the underlay and carpets down.

Carmen's study turned out really well - I am not sure if you can see on the photos, but it is in a textured paint called Suede and the colour is Sage green. Apart from the house, the other finishes like the fence and blinds etc. look like they are going to end up being around 35k so we had to make a call and decided that sadly the plantation shutters would have to wait. This room will now have white blinds for the time being and we'll save up for the shutters. :-( My study is more controversial - it is really dark - with the high window as you will see below it is what I was aiming for - I have heavy dark furniture and will have dark bookcases - I like the old look so as I have told those over here who have raised their eyebrows, give it until the paintings and furniture are in before final judgement. However, though I would like other people to like our house in general, my study is the one place where it doesn't matter what people ultimately think - it is the one piece that is entirely mine (and partially the bank's for now) on the planet - if I felt like putting in a purple polka dot ceiling, I would! Anyway. The rain prevented the fence or driveway from being put in, but the tiling is done. More shots when it is cleaned up next week.
Have a great week!

PS: Please don't mention the rugby...

Carmen's study. Although too 'girly' for me, I think it will look really nice when the carpet and her furniture is in.

Nice view of the portaloo from the study. On that subject, we have to pay $350 per quarter just for the privilege of having recycled water for the garden on top of our water bill! Time to vote the green nuts out of parliament. Can't wait till we can vote!

The entrance to the study - it was a lot of work. Photos of painted walls are not exciting, but it was so labour intensive, I am taking a moment to just appreciate our handiwork :-)
My study - awaiting the dark wood (actually bamboo cos it's harder) floors and furniture. I have to confess Carmen was a little bit cheesed with me - she painstakingly took over half an hour to put the special masking tape on the skirting boards in preparation for the painting and I even popped in to check she was doing it carefully enough, which didn't impress her. After she had finally finished and her butt was almost asleep from scooting along the hard floor, I remembered that I was painting the skirtings the same colour.... I was not popular. Ooops!

Somebody mailed me and asked for a shot of the top - here it is - en suite basins.

3 comments:

Selina said...

Hi Rodney
1 The painting job looks really cool. Carmen's study colour looks softer but with the white and silver finishes will look more elegant than "girlie".(i think)
2 Please just be careful of the shade of purple you choose for the ceiling, should you go that route, it could ruin the effect.
3 Sympathy to Carmen re the skirting board incident!

coolscorp said...

You may not know me. However, I saw your blog accidentally. It is an awesome blog. Intricate and brilliant, it shows your passion for the property and your family. Awesome sir.

rodney said...

Thanks for your kind words coolscorp. Not sure they are deserved - but I'll take what i can get! Cheers!