Thursday 26 March 2009

The Soldier


As an avid fan of Wilfrid Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, I have no illusions about the glory of war. Having never served (I was studying and by the time I finished, conscription had been abolished), I suppose I am fortunate not to have been put in the position. I do wish to remember those that are still out there in Afghanistan and Iraq that are fighting for freedom as well as the peacekeepers throughout our continent and the world. They are normal guys like you and me faced with a task no human should ever have to be asked to do. We who enjoy the fruits of freedom should not forget them:

It is the soldier, not the poet, who gives us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the reporter, who gives us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us freedom to protest.
It is the soldier who serves beneath the flag, who salutes the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives the demonstrator the right to burn the flag.
(USMC chaplain)

No comments: