Saturday 6 August 2011

Toaster

Ok, so I get excited about well-made stuff - even kitchen appliances :-). Our current toaster is one that we bought about 12 years ago and somewhere along the way, a plastic bread packet brushed up against it in the midst of toasting operations and melted onto the metal side. It didn't affect the performance but old toasty was known to be a little bit temperamental and the bright red birthmark on his side didn't improve his appearance. Anyway he still worked so I couldn't justify getting rid of him. Somebody however just bought us this machine below - I hesitate to use the mere word 'Toaster' for this marvel of modern engineering. I don't know if you are up with the latest technology in these bread crispers, but this surely has to be Toaster - the very definition of what all toasters dream of being:
1. First of all you will notice it has 4 slots - no more jostling for position between Carmen and me.
2. The slots are extra wide and go extra deep to accommodate oversize slices.
3. Do you see the gap between the top of the 'depressers'? that is so that if you have a small slice of bread or a crumpet, you can lift it that extra bit higher so that you don't have to waste time digging around with a knife (which is unsafe not to mention frustrating as your toast gets cold (sacrilege) while you poke around and hack the blasted elusive thing to pieces.)
4. Independent temperature controls for left and right pairs of slots! I know! - awesome, hey? I mean can you believe how civilised that is? Cars have independent left and right climate controls - so why not toasters? Imagine - you and your wife chatting happily, relaxed, sharing a lovely breakfast, no que for the toaster and each one able to perfectly toast slices to their own taste to perfection, side by side without interfering or disturbing the toasting of the other. This has to be, at the very least, part of the secret of a long and happy marriage! Sheer genius! I don't think I am overstating it, am I?
5. A special crumpet button
6. Of course the standard temperature settings as well as a defrost function
7. Personal opinion, but boy she looks good.

As you may have gathered, I hate clutter and appliance clutter on kitchen counters is no different, but I am seriously giving consideration to allowing this technological masterpiece to grace our counter tops...


No comments: